I am a Postdoctoral Associate at the MIT Sloan School of
Management and the Initiative on Digital Economy @ MIT sponsored by Prof. Sinan Aral.
My research broadly involves making careful empirical measurements (both causal and predictive) from big data and draws on ideas from Computer Science, Marketing, Statistics, Sociology & Applied Econometrics.
Substantively, I am interested in understanding the value drivers in digital & social products and the strategies that firms should adopt in developing and marketing such products. In particular, I am interested in a). Digital Transformation of News-media & b). Social Advertising.
In one stream of research I am investigating digital paywall strategy for newspapers (in partnership with The New York Times and Boston Globe). My second stream of research involves finding efficient targeting strategies in social networks (to maximize the size of viral diffusion cascades) and in another stream of research I am working on understanding the anatomy of the strategic advantage bestowed on individuals by their social network structure.
I hold an A.M. in Statistics and M.S.E & Ph.D. in Computer &
Information Science (CIS), all from the University of
Pennsylvania. My doctoral dissertation won the Morris & Dorothy Rubinoff Best Dissertation Award. My doctoral work, which was on statistical Machine Learning & Natural Language Processing (NLP), proposed simple linear spectral learning methods that give accuracies comparable to or better than state-of-the-art "deep-learning" algorithms on text data and has been published in top tier journals/conferences.
For more details you might want to have a look at my Publication List (Google Scholar Profile) or CV.
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA, U.S.A
- March 3-5, 2016: Presenting our work "Digital Paywall Design" at the Winter Conference on Business Intelligence (WCBI) 2016 @ Snowbird, UT.
- Nov 2, 2015: Giving an invited talk on "Influence Maximization Revisited" at Social Media Analytics Session @ INFORMS 2015.
- Oct 16-17, 2015: Presenting our work "Digital Paywall Design" at the Conference on Digital Experimentation (CODE) 2015 @ MIT.
- Oct 2-3, 2015: Presenting our paper "Influence
Maximization Revisited" at the Workshop on Information in Networks (WIN) 2015 @ NYU.
- June 18-20, 2015: Presenting a paper entitled "All you need is
'R': Estimating the Pareto/NBD model using only recency data" at the Marketing
Science Conference @ Baltimore, MD.
- June 5, 2015: Co-organizing a workshop on Vector Space Modeling for NLP
at the NAACL-HLT 2015.
- May 5, 2015: Giving a invited talk entited "Spectral Word
Embeddings" on our work on word embeddings @ CSAIL, MIT.
- May 1-3, 2015: Presenting a paper entitled "Influence
Maximization Revisited" at the Information
Transmission in Networks Conference @ Harvard University.
- April 15, 2015: Our paper Eigenwords: Spectral Word
Embeddings got accepted at the JMLR (Journal of Machine Learning
- April 9, 2015: Awarded the Morris & Dorothy Rubinoff
Best Dissertation Award by Penn CIS Department.